Sunday, April 05, 2015

Looking Back 35 Years to Art West Magazine

Irene Emett presents Roland Lee with a 1981 copy of Art West magazine which featured Roland's work as a new artist.

What a fun experience I had yesterday at the St. George Art Festival. A wonderful old friend Irene Emett stopped by my display with her family and presented me with a 1981 copy of "Art West" magazine that had a nice article on my paintings. She had purchased it while living in Montana and first became acquainted with my paintings. Later she moved to Veyo, Utah to live near her family and found out I was living in nearby Dammeron Valley. What was more fun, I was her Bishop in the LDS church. So we became personal friends. Well, I never knew about the magazine until she told me the story yesterday. Back in 1981, after a sell-out show at the Phippen Memorial show in Prescott Arizona, I was "discovered" by Art West magazine and they did a wonderful feature article on my work. It really helped my career as a new western artist. Wow, it's fun looking back, and it's great to have such good friends!
A 1981 issue of Art West Magazine with a feature article on artist Roland Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment