Thursday, April 18, 2013

Painting Utah Barns in watercolor

Silver stained and weathered barnwood was the subject of our workshop
When I told my class we were going to paint a barn, I didn't mean with red paint and a roller. My latest workshop explored the nuances of weathered-wood and rusted-tin as we enjoyed painting this age-old favorite watercolor subject. We were lucky to have a couple of nice old relics nearby that survived into the modern day while civilization encroached all around them, including a bustling freeway nearby. It seemed a strange mix, as we sketched and painted the silvered wood with gaping holes, while big diesel trucks roared by us. Back in the studio later we used sketches to complete paintings with fantastic skies.
While the class sketched I did a quick watercolor painting of the old barns, while cars whistled by us on the freeway. It seemed a strange mix of the old and the new.

No comments:

Post a Comment