Saturday, June 26, 2010

Plein Air Painting in Snow Canyon

The Visual Artists Association had their monthly meeting outdoors this week, as we gathered in Snow Canyon for a paint out. We picked a shady spot to dodge the late afternoon sun and spent a pleasant hour or so working on sketches and paintings.



I chose this little cliff for my painting and started with a quick 10 minute value study in my sketchbook. I then jumped right into my little painting using my Cotman watercolor travel kit to quickly capture the gesture and feeling of the late afternoon light on the red cliffs of Snow Canyon. I am using a 5 x 8 sheet of Arches watercolor paper mounted on "Incredible Art Board" from Dick Blick. The collapsible sable brush is from Daniel Smith.

About 15 fellow artists showed up for the paint out in Snow Canyon. Most of the artists were using watercolor although some used other mediums as well.


Our fearless leader Craig Fetzer shared some great art stories with us as we painted together.

1 comment:

  1. I am a fan of your work...am learning watercolor myself and sometimes i see myself gazing at your work for hours....

    ReplyDelete