Thursday, April 23, 2009

In the Footsteps of Thomas Moran - Day 3

Another fantastic day in God's country! I started day three by doing a painting of the Sentinel and Streaked Wall. I did a sketch there yesterday morning and knew the light would be fantastic. The painting turned out well.


I then set up my easel on the lawn in front of Zion Lodge and painted north towards Angel's Landing. I drew a lot of attention as that is a high traffic area, and had a nice visit with tour groups and guests from all over the world while I was working. Later on Donal Jolley set up in the same location and did a wondrful painting for the onlookers.

Jan Adams from New Hampshire admired my painting and showed me one of her own that she did recently in one of Anne Weiler-Brown's watercolor journaling classes. In the photo she is showing her painting with mine.

In the afternoon I found a wonderful shady spot at the shuttle stop which happens to have a fantastic view of Lady Mountain and the Emerald Falls. Kate Starling joined me at that location and it was fun to watch her perform magic with her oil paints. We had many people stop for a look while getting on and off the shuttle.

As evening drew near I completed a little painting of the Sentinel from the new Visitor's Center. By now I was pretty tired and feeling the effects of the heat so I stopped in at the Human History Museum to gaze at the Zion paintings on display and have another look at Thomas Moran's sketchbook. I was surprised to see a sold sign on my painting of the Watchman. A nice couple from Pennsylvania had purchased it earlier in the day. So that was a nice way to end a busy painting day.

1 comment:

  1. Great paintings and great blog postings! If you keep this up we're going to want blog postings everyday from now on! Keep up the great work.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete