Friday, February 29, 2008

Mike Malm Show at Trailside Gallery and gallery hopping in Scottsdale

Artist Roland Lee at the Trailside Gallery in Scottsdale ArizonaWe stayed over an extra day in order to do a little gallery hopping in Scottsdale and enjoy the warm 80 degree Arizona sunshine. We did plenty of both! After picking up our rental car we drove from Tempe to the Scottsdale Art District, an area teeming with galleries and shops. We started with the Trailside Gallery, one of my favorites hoping to see some of Mike Malm's work. We were rewarded with a real treat as they had about ten big pieces on display. When I told the the gallery rep I had one of Mike's originals hanging in my living room, she really perked up sensing a sale in the making. His paintings were incredible and I truly wished I could buy a couple today. What a master!

This painting "Dappled" by Michael Malm was Nellie's favorite.

We then moved on to Leslie Levy, Legacy Gallery, Overland Trails, and others, stopping to chat with Jessica Hunter in the Rive Gauche gallery. A few quick questions told me she knew her stuff and I enjoyed visiting with her. They display works by a number of Utah artists including sculptor L'Deane Trueblood who is a good friend of mine (of course I own a wonderful bronze by her as well.) Nellie and I also enjoyed the work of Jerry Cox especially "Hammock Lovers" which hangs suspended from the ceiling. The figurative paintings of Bryce Cameron Liston were knockouts and we enjoyed the peaceful paintings of Doug Aagard and the big bold color-filled paintings of Jeff Ham.

It's always fun to charge the artistic batteries by visiting galleries, but I often wish I were a rich art collector with an unlimited budget rather than a starving artist with a credit card.

No comments:

Post a Comment