Friday, February 09, 2007

February Watercolor Workshop

I enjoyed spending the last two days with some wonderful artists at my February watercolor workshop. I took a different approach with this group, and we did a lot more hands-on work actually completing two paintings in class. It was a test run of sorts for me, since I usually approach my classes with a little more discussion and theory using powerpoint demonstrations. This time I used actual examples and demonstrated on the spot. I think it was successful judging by the student comments.

Workshop participants: front row - Shari Cannon, Lola Krummenacher, Karen Bettilyon, Gwendolyn Joy Mitchell, Luzon Glines. Back row - Gary Fawson, Roland Lee, Glen Bessenette. Not pictured - Viona Wilson

Students included: front row - Shari Cannon, Lola Krummenacher, Karen Bettilyon, Gwendolyn Joy Mitchell, Luzon Glines. Back row - Gary Fawson, Roland Lee, Glen Bessenette. Not pictured - Viona Wilson, who won Best of Show at the Southern Utah Watercolor Society juried show currently on display in Mesquite Nevada. We are all proud of her.

Workshop participant Karen Bettilyon during the Roland Lee painting during the workshop

Karen Bettilyon (above), a fine watercolor painter, became a second-time collector by purchasing my demonstration painting from January called "Classic Clouds."

Roland Lee watercolor painting purchased by Karen Bettilyon

"Classic Clouds" (above) watercolor painting by Roland Lee

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:45 PM

    I was quite happy with my watercolors till I saw the Roland Lee pictures; now I think mine are drab and boring! Back to the drawing board and thanks for the inspiration to improve. Yours are wonderful paintings, Binko.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Binko for your kind remarks. Good luck in your artwork too. Roland Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:57 AM

    Hello Roland, I've spent ages studying your pictures and think your web site is excellent. I am amazed by the beautiful colors you use when painting from a fairly bland photo or scene as all my paintings turn out as bland and boring as the actual scene. Have you published any books on the technique you use? If not, please will you do so and I will be one of your first customers, thanks so much, Brenda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Brenda. No how-to books yet, but thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete